Mobile First Surveys – The Wrong Strategy?
There is no doubt that the use of mobile devices to access the internet is on the rise. This has led some companies to advise “mobile first” when building a feedback program. We think they are wrong!
Consider these stats from “Digital, Social, Mobile,” one of the most comprehensive compendiums of mobile internet usage. Clearly, mobile internet use is growing rapidly.
But as a share of overall web views, mobile is still a minority player, even if you add mobile phone and tablet together.
This global picture hides massive variations by country. In the US, laptops and desktops account for 65% of web page views compared with 35% using phone and tablet. The UK figures are 58% and 42% respectively. Sending mobile surveys in Nigeria and India however is strongly advised; more than 70% of web traffic in those countries is mobile.
Device First — Revolutionizing How You Send Surveys
These and other, similar data have led Clicktools to adopt a different strategy. Rather than “mobile first,” we follow a strategy we call “device first.” This exciting new approach will appear in the next Clicktools release on September 27th, 2015. The strategy recognizes the following realities:
- Surveys and web forms are opened on a variety of devices and that will continue to be the case for some time to come.
- Mobile devices themselves range in screen formats making simple responsive design an inadequate response. There are significant differences between a mobile phone, a smartphone, and a tablet.
- Some question types work on well on desktops but not on mobile devices.
- The device the customer uses changes their propensity to give different types of feedback, which in turn calls for device-specific question sets.
- Customer focus means offering channel choice for customers, not pushing them to the latest or even the most used device.
Clicktools “device first” strategy includes:
- Rich branding across all devices
- Device conditions that change / optimize the question set based on the device they open the survey on
- Recognition that SMS and IVR are also important mobile channels
- Surveys that can be completed in different ways with the results automatically going to the same results set for analysis
If you want to learn more about providing real choice for your customers, give us a call 1-800-774-4065, comment, email, or just write to us: your choice!